Re: Adding rfkill support to thinkpad_acpi

On 5/22/07, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Yes, if there is no event on kill switch, I agree. We need a way so
>
> AFAIK one can poll it, but since it is in the EC space, it is a "we don't
> have events" thing.  If someone finds a QXX DSDT method or somesuch we can
> trap, then we will have events for it.
>
> > userspace knows about the change, and pops up a NetworkManager-applet
> > libnotify "You've switched off the wireless" rather than just ramping
> > the power to 100% and then failing to connect to networks.
>
> I can work with that, yes.  In fact I have nothing against it, but current
> rfkill does not allow for the above.

RFKill sure does not. Rfkill does not support buttons, sliders, knobs
or anything else. That is what input layer for. Userspace is supposed
to listen to kEY_WLAN/KEY_BLUETOOTH events and do its things.
Alernatively rfkill-input will do smple on/off toggling on switches
that userspace did not claim.

> > How about polling twice a second? That should cause no appreciable load
> > increase and give userspace a chance to do something clever.
>
> How about polling twice a second, PLUS a notification from rfkill every time
> something wants to read an attribute, so that we nearly close the window of
> opportunity where the status is incorrect?  That's what I am asking of
> rfkill, but they are very reluctant to implement.

Notification to where? The driver? Userspace? Does delay in status
reading of ~0.5 sec matter? You are concerned with the load on the EC
caused by constant polling but are you OK with apllications readig
sysfs attributes constantly (rfkill attributs are exported 0644 or
0444 so anyone could  read them)? Do you want the driver to do
throttling? Do you want rfkill to implement throttling? Driver
specific?

All in all it is alot of pain for no reeal gain.

--
Dmitry