Re: rc1.3 on HP Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake)

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 8:19 AM, Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/18/2016 11:34 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

>>> This is the screen after "Test this media & start Fedora-Workstation-Live
>>> 25_Beta":
>>> http://per.bothner.com/tmp/bootfail-F25-B-1-1-20161118.jpg
>>>
>>> This is the output of dmesg after "Start Fedora-Workstation-Live
>>> 25_Beta":
>>> http://per.bothner.com/tmp/bootfail-F25-B-1-1-20161118-dmesg.txt
>>

>> That's a 4.8.0rc7 kernel, lots of bug fixes since then and are in the
>> final release kernel.
>

> I also tried RC 1.3, with the same media test failure.  That is what I ended
> up actually installing from.
>
> http://per.bothner.com/tmp/bootfail-F25-1-3.jpg
> http://per.bothner.com/tmp/bootfail-F25-1-3-dmesg.txt

There are still ACPI errrors there, and I have no idea if they're just
noise or a real problem. It might be worth filing bugs upstream for
some of these. Thing is, as i'm going through this right now, there
are several ACPI related debug options in the kernel, and none of them
are enabled on Fedora kernels so to go down this rabbit hole you'd
need to be compiling kernels and enable some of this stuff to get more
verbose output to attach to the bug reports.

I think you said it's a new Spectre, so chances are it doesn't have a
firmware update yet. But it's worth checking to make sure.

> I just now tried the same flash drive on a older (2-3 years) Toshiba laptop
> (with UEFI).
> Same media failure.

I'm gonna say it's bad media, just because I'm doing the same thing
you're doing and can't reproduce it. You could try doing a round of
badblocks -w with it, which writes out a bunch of patterns and reads
them back in, and will tell you whether it spits back write errors,
read errors, or neither but the data is corrupt. Another option is f3
which does a bunch of tests for fake flash, rather exhausitively, and
GNOME Multiwriter does an abbreviated fake flash test that should be
equally reliable for determining if flash is fake but doesn't fully
test the ability of the drive to not corrupt data like f3 and
badblocks.

Still another idea is to format it with Btrfs and copy a bunch of
files to it, and then scrub it. I've definitely experienced flash that
corrupts both persistently and transiently.

> So flash drive failures seem most plausible, though it is strange to have
> two
> identical-mode failures on two different drives.

Yes.

> Another possibility is some actual issue that might only be triggered with
> older
> flash drives, though that seems strange as well.

There are bugs in flash firmware, not just the memory chips. There are
also bugs in the drivers, especially for new connections.

>> The dmesg shows a bunch of ACPI errors, I can't tell if they're
>> critical. Does this laptop have USB-C?
>

> Yes: USB-C/Thunderbolt-3. No HDMI port, but it does have a traditional
> USB-A port, which I used for booting.

Yeah we're in a wonky transitional stage right now. My Spectre, which
is not an x360 but rather the thin one, has three USB-C ports. One
accepts power, is not Thunderbolt, and is USB 3.1 Gen 1. I can boot
Fedora media from it, and get to the installer, and install Fedora
without problem. Two USB-C ports are Thunderbolt 3, and are USB 3.1
Gen 2. And while I can boot, strictly being bootloader + kernel +
initramfs load, once the kernel looks for devices from which to locate
rootfs, it fails. There is no USB stick to be found as far as the
kernel is concerned. I still haven't figure out if this is some weird
startup bug with the kernel, or if maybe it's an initramfs problem.

But from kernel messages, this is really a PCIe port, and it becomes
something else at the moment you plug something into it. It's not
always necessarily USB.

> At this point, I will just say thanks for the help; I'm good right now;
> and the duplicate failures will presumably remain a mystery.

Chances are, the behavior will change soon as all of this stuff is in
flux, but I still think it's best to gather as much data about each
individual problem and get it upstream just because they probably
don't have this particular hardware handy.

--
Chris Murphy