Re: rc1.3 on HP Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake)

On 11/18/2016 11:34 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/17/2016 11:05 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 11/17/2016 02:36 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

Hmm that's been tested quite a bit the last two cycles. I'd sooner
expect two USB flash drives have bad cells resulting in corruption on
reads than a write corruption bug in mediawriter itself.

I tried a 3rd disk (this one a small USB hard drive), and Live
booted cleanly!  Even better: I got full HD resolution on the
laptop display and 4K on an external monitor (via my USB docking
station).

That is an odd duck. Two sticks fail media verification and both give
you fits with display resolution. Can you boot from either of the
sticks, capture dmesg and post it somewhere?

This is the screen after "Test this media & start Fedora-Workstation-Live
25_Beta":
http://per.bothner.com/tmp/bootfail-F25-B-1-1-20161118.jpg

This is the output of dmesg after "Start Fedora-Workstation-Live 25_Beta":
http://per.bothner.com/tmp/bootfail-F25-B-1-1-20161118-dmesg.txt

That's a 4.8.0rc7 kernel, lots of bug fixes since then and are in the
final release kernel.

I also tried RC 1.3, with the same media test failure.  That is what I ended
up actually installing from.

http://per.bothner.com/tmp/bootfail-F25-1-3.jpg
http://per.bothner.com/tmp/bootfail-F25-1-3-dmesg.txt

I just now tried the same flash drive on a older (2-3 years) Toshiba laptop (with UEFI).
Same media failure.

So flash drive failures seem most plausible, though it is strange to have two
identical-mode failures on two different drives.

Another possibility is some actual issue that might only be triggered with older
flash drives, though that seems strange as well.

The dmesg shows a bunch of ACPI errors, I can't tell if they're
critical. Does this laptop have USB-C?

Yes: USB-C/Thunderbolt-3. No HDMI port, but it does have a traditional
USB-A port, which I used for booting.

At this point, I will just say thanks for the help; I'm good right now;
and the duplicate failures will presumably remain a mystery.
--
	--Per Bothner