Re: rc1.3 on HP Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake)

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just got a new Hp Spectre x360 with Kaby Lake and Intel HD 620 Graphics.
> Most things work pretty well, but there is one killer problem that would
> prevent running Fedora: I can't get the display better than 800x600,
> and it won't recognize an external display.  These are presumably related.
>
> Otherwise, the install (Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25-1.3.iso) went
> very smoothly.  The "media test" failed, but booting into safe mode and
> installing to hard disk was otherwise smooth.
>
> (I can retry the "media test + live boot" and take a picture of the
> resulting screen, if someone is interested.)

How did you create the media? There are several ways the media test
can be thwarted depending on how it's created; either dd or
mediawriter methods should result in valid media or it's probably a
bug somewhere - my first guess is bad flash.

> Most of the things worked out of the box: WiFi, touchscreen, sound.
>
> I had ordered one of these:
> https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Multiport-Adapter-DisplayPort-Ethernet/dp/B01FJPDXBS/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1477252795&sr=8-35&keywords=usb-c+docking+ethernet
>
> While the most critical feature (external monitor) didn't work, the
> following did work: power delivery, ethernet, usb mouse and keyboard,
> external audio.  Cool!
>
> I just need the display (internal HD and external 4k) to work or
> else I'll have to run Fedora in a VM on Windows - which I'd rather not!

Just a guess, head to koji and find a 4.9 kernel and see if it's
working, or working differently, there. The hardware may just be too
new still.

--
Chris Murphy