Re: rc1.3 on HP Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake)

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/17/2016 02:36 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> Hmm that's been tested quite a bit the last two cycles. I'd sooner
>> expect two USB flash drives have bad cells resulting in corruption on
>> reads than a write corruption bug in mediawriter itself.
>

> I tried a 3rd disk (this one a small USB hard drive), and Live
> booted cleanly!  Even better: I got full HD resolution on the
> laptop display and 4K on an external monitor (via my USB docking station).

That is an odd duck. Two sticks fail media verification and both give
you fits with display resolution. Can you boot from either of the
sticks, capture dmesg and post it somewhere?

> Of course this is still the Live Boot.  So is there some reasonable way to
> "upgrade""
> my installed boot from "safe mode" to normal mode", or should I just start
> over
> and re-install from scratch?  Perhaps the latter is safer, though it some
> extra
> time and network bandwidth.

Do you mean booting the 'basic graphics mode' option from the
installer boot menu? Edit /etc/default/grub, find GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=
and remove nomodeset, then 'sudo grub2-mkconfig -o <pathtogrub.cfg>'
where path depends on whether you have BIOS or UEFI firmware (another
weird thing we do differently)...

--
Chris Murphy