Re: rc1.3 on HP Spectre x360 (Kaby Lake)

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 9:27 PM, Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/16/2016 09:09 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 6:34 PM, Per Bothner <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just got a new Hp Spectre x360 with Kaby Lake and Intel HD 620
>>> Graphics.
>>> Most things work pretty well, but there is one killer problem that would
>>> prevent running Fedora: I can't get the display better than 800x600,
>>> and it won't recognize an external display.  These are presumably
>>> related.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, the install (Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25-1.3.iso) went
>>> very smoothly.  The "media test" failed, but booting into safe mode and
>>> installing to hard disk was otherwise smooth.
>>>
>>> (I can retry the "media test + live boot" and take a picture of the
>>> resulting screen, if someone is interested.)
>>

>> How did you create the media? There are several ways the media test
>> can be thwarted depending on how it's created; either dd or
>> mediawriter methods should result in valid media or it's probably a
>> bug somewhere - my first guess is bad flash.
>

> Two different flash drives two different iso's:
> I first tried Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25_Beta-1.1.iso on one flash
> drive,
> and a different flash drive, then I tried
> Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25-1.3.iso
> in the first drive.  Same result for all of them.

OK you didn't answer the question. Those are file names. How did you
put the files onto the flash drives? Also did the sha256sum on the two
ISO's match what's published?

First the ISO needs to match its published hash. Second it needs to be
written unmodified to the flash. Only dd and mediawriter for sure do
this. All other methods have default or alternate options that cause
the contents to be copied to the flash media, without preserving the
image. That means the result can't be verified using checkisomd5. An
exception is on macOS, even dd doesn't work here because as soon as
the stick is done being imaged, the OS wants to mount the HFS+ volume
that's on the stick, and mounting it changes the stick, and makes
certain the verification always fails. Something similar can happen on
Windows.

So how was the media created?

> I don't want to write down all the messages, but I can take a photograph.
> (I don't know is that is appropriate/allowed for this list.)
>
>> Just a guess, head to koji and find a 4.9 kernel and see if it's
>> working, or working differently, there. The hardware may just be too
>> new still.
>

> You mean:
>   sudo rpm -i kernel-4.9.0-0.rc5.git2.1.fc26.x86_64.rpm

I don't know if that will work, if it brings in the other RPMs that
are needed. I've always downloaded kernel, kernel-core, and
kernel-modules RPMs from koji and then I do:
$ sudo dnf install *rpm

And that installs them.

--
Chris Murphy