Re: Proposal: let's just use the FAS group already

On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 12:51 -0500, Kamil Paral wrote:
> > > as discussed, being in the group is not intended to be actually
> > > necessary for any QA tasks, we're just going to have it to allow you to
> > > get voting rights and fedorapeople space and as a
> > > handy-but-probably-incomplete list of people involved with QA. no plans
> > > to change any of our current tasks or processes to depend on group
> > > membership in any way.
> >
> > oh, and group membership gives you 'editbugs' privs in Bugzilla, so you
> > can do triage.
>
> I like the change with qa group in general. I have a few concerns as well:
>
> 1. Since we give people editbugs privileges (I assume that means that
> you can freely edit any item in any bug report), we should only accept
> people we trust and they should be aware of their powers and what to
> do (not to do) with them. Since there is no description box for the
> group in FAS, we should probably create a wiki page where we describe
> the granted powers and responsibilities and link to that. Also there
> should be a section with guidelines for sponsors, so that they can
> easily decide whether to accept an application.

In theory, you're right. In practice...meeeeh. editbugs privs are more
or less given out like candy; there's 2300+ people in the 'fedorabugs'
group already as things stand. As nirik observed, it's never really been
a problem. Messing up bug reports is not enough fun for trolls,
apparently.

If we want to try and tighten it up a bit we could, but I definitely
don't think we need to be setting high bars, or anything. I'd figure
anyone who's a semi-regular poster here or Bodhi feedback poster or
validation tester or whatever is fine to be approved; anyone for whom
someone would say 'oh, yeah, I know that person, they test stuff.'

> 2. Currently the "Rules for Application:" feels like "free voting
> rights! free online space! free hot dogs!". I think it should clearly
> explain that we don't grant the membership to everyone, we grant it
> only to people that we see around often, we know that they do good
> work, and we know that they won't abuse their new powers.

See that's more or less what I just said, only somehow it sounds much
more 'forbidding', like you have to pass an exam to get in or something.
I do share viking's concern that this doesn't wind up being some 'elite'
group of testers or something...

>  (Hm, I wonder whether we really want to grant editbugs privs to every
> single person who performed a reasonable amount of testing for Fedora.
> Should these two things be coupled together? If somebody reported a
> few bugs, I think it's OK to reward him with voting rights and such,
> but he should not get editbugs privs, yet.)

Well, I mean, in an ideal world we'd have some kind of triaging project
that worked. But we've tried that how many times now? :) Since there's
no active triage project, really I think 'everyone in QA gets triage
powers' is the second-best option.

(BTW, in case you're wondering about non-Fedora stuff: AIUI Red Hat
products in BZ are protected from Fedora contributors wielding editbugs
powers somehow or other. I don't think we're going to have Red Hat C*Os
coming down on us for causing their zillion-dollar bug to be sabotaged
or anything).

> 3. I have some experience with translator teams in the past. We also
> used a group for giving people extra powers (revert translations and
> such). I have a bad experience with free-to-apply groups. I spent a
> lot of time explaining people that "no, you don't need to be in the
> group just to translate software, this is for additional permissions,
> and we can add you once you've been around for some time and see that
> you do good work" over and over again. It helped us so much to have a
> short clear description (explicitly stating that they can do any
> translator work without being in this group, this is sooo important)
> and having it invite-only (a lot of people don't read descriptions
> when they see a big Join button). If someone is eligible to be added,
> you usually know him, he knows you, and it's easy for him to ping you
> and ask for a group membership. I advise here to do the same.

We can do something like that for sure, but yeah, my take is that I
wouldn't want it to be too much of a two-tier system.

I've stuck a meeting agenda item for the group membership stuff in for
Monday, we can chat about it there...maybe you could draft some specific
changes to the current group description texts?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey