Re: Musicians' Guide in Development; Testing Needed!

On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 12:48 -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> <nando@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm not comparing a bug to a non-bug. When I tested qtractor a while
> > back I could _not_ do that (as far as I can remember). BTW, if qtractor
> > (insert smilie here) is sooo alpha - and I don't think it is - then I
> > would not recommend it for novices for that very same reason :-)
>
> FYI, Hopefully Rui won't mind my forwarding part of his reply in
> response to my forwarding of my message responding to Fernando:
> ............ ............ ............ ............
> yep. that's correct, you can have 1-99 channels on any qtractor bus.
> however, Fernando has partly good reason, qtractor is more oriented to
> stereo setups.
>
> having more that 1-2 channels in any one bus or track will certainly
> work and it may give you some interesting results when dealing with
> disparate audio files in terms of number of channels.
>
> eg. rendering a stereo audio file on a 12-channel track/bus will make it
> through as 6 stereo pairs at the output, original left channel on the
> odd numbered output channels and the original right on the even ones.

Ah, yes! That was part of what was happening (_now_ I remember). For me
multichannel support should include the ability of assigning a mono
track (for example) to any combination of outputs in a multichannel bus
or track.

> This actually suggests a good trick for my base-setup. I could setup a
> 4channel bus and when I want to have parallel monitoring on headphones
> and mains (which is how i have my delta-66 4 outputs setup) I could
> use this second bus for such purposes: it would automatically
> duplicate stereo tracks it is playing back across all channels. Or
> send the outputs to a "quadraphonic" system utilizing all four
> outputs. You could probably setup 6-channels and have it duplicate the
> mains to the spdif output as well...
>
> As to the rest of Rui's reply, that's a separate thread/message.
>
> I wonder if there's a way to run Qtractor without Jackd, using only
> ALSA audio devices? This would be for performance reasons, on an
> underpowered "music computer" running a realtime kernel and fitted
> with a soundcard containing a digital mixer (none of which exists yet,
> but will, when i upgrade a server currently using the mobo/cpu)
> http://old.nabble.com/performance-tradeoffs-of-using-ALSA-dshare-plugin-for-"envy24"-soundcards--ts29133320.html

Why "for performance reasons"? What performance problems have you seen?
Having jack manage the sound card should not affect performance,
actually probably the reverse will happen if you use ALSA directly,
unless the programmer of the application in question has a very good
knowledge of ALSA. That is part of the beauty of jack, you don't need to
know anything about the gory details of the ALSA api.

-- Fernando