Re: Musicians' Guide in Development; Testing Needed!

On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 01:44 -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
> <nando@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I would like to point out that Qtractor is oriented to stereo output.
>
> The 'View->Buses..." menu allows configuration of multiple channels of
> audio beyond two. I just configured a 12 channel track, for example.
> There is a bug related to this issue, and it may indicate that it has
> been tested more with stereo output and non-multichannel cards. The
> gui itself permits configuration of up to 99 channels.
>
> > A while back I tried to use for something simple, and that stopped me - I
> > don't think I could get it to change the number of channels in the
> > master output.
>
> You can get it to change the number of channels, but it may crash
> jackd in the process. Requiring a qtractor restart after you save the
> file/template with the multichannel audio bus. This is a known bug:
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=733076&aid=3021645&group_id=135501
> that is still present in subversion.
>
> After jackd crashed, I was able to save the qtractor template with a
> 12-channel audio template and it correctly setup that 12 channel
> template next time I restarted qjackctl and restarted qtractor.
> Qjackctl indicated 12 audio inputs (Master/in_*) and outputs
> (Master/out_*) available in qtractor, in addition to the 2 channels of
> monitor (Player/out_*). The mixer shows 12-channel metering, etc.
> Clearly there is support for multichannel audio.
>
> The bug only seems to be invoked on bus creation with multichannel
> sound cards. And not stereo cards.
>
> > Ardour is more complex but you get a return from the investment of
> > learning it (as usual).
>
> I don't think it's fair to compare a bug in an "alpha" (<0.5)
> opensource software package with a many-years-old project nearing
> 3.0... But yes, ardour is very comprehensive -- and totally confusing
> and overwhelming to the novice.

I'm not comparing a bug to a non-bug. When I tested qtractor a while
back I could _not_ do that (as far as I can remember). BTW, if qtractor
(insert smilie here) is sooo alpha - and I don't think it is - then I
would not recommend it for novices for that very same reason :-)

Which one to use depends on you long term goals and your needs.

-- Fernando