Re: Musicians' Guide in Development; Testing Needed!

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Christopher Antila <crantila@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Qtractor from RPM Fusion may be quite buggy, but in no way have I had an
> experience to consider it nearly unusable.  I've been using it for quite
> a while now, and it hasn't crashed once.  Keep in mind, Qtractor is
> still "Alpha" software, according to its SourceForge website.

FYI -- the reason why I mentioned Qtractor is because I saw it absent
in the guide URL you posted. I'm glad to see you're using it and hope
your guide will include information on this premier Linux DAW.  The
other reason I mentioned it: Nicholas' reply  suggested some very
capable and complex tools that would all have to be explained,
configured, interconnected, etc. This would be very discouraging to a
student faced with the complexity explosion caused by combining
Ardour, Qjackctl, and Hydrogen: That's why I suggested a
more-integrated tool like Qtractor  is appropriate to the student and
beginners. Tools like Ardour would be more appropriate for the "pro"
doing mastering.

Regarding my statements about instability in RPMfusion versions of
Qtractor. Note that I'm one of Qtractor's biggest fans -- which is why
I always want the latest and best version. Some of the bugs depend on
what you're doing with it. I basically abuse the software and do
things that it wasn't expecting to be used for, and then i can crash
it (although I'm usually impressed with the fact that it doesn't crash
despite the abuse I throw at it). There's been enough fixes in
subversion that I'm getting more stability just from having the svn
directory around, and doing "svn up" once a week, then "make" and
"make install" ...

Here's one example of the kinds of bugs I'm talking about -- you won't
see it unless you're using a multichannel audio interface and
performing certain operations on audio buses ...
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=733076&aid=3021645&group_id=135501
I've hit this bug too -- just fixed:
 http://qtractor.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/qtractor?view=revision&revision=1597

Niels
http://nielsmayer.com

PS: Regarding Mastering and Level setting (
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Crantila/FSC/Recording/DAW_Common_Elements#Level
).
Consider using http://www.64studio.com/book/export/html/1236 as a
starting point ( from http://www.64studio.com/manual/audio ).

Consider suggesting Bob Katz' "K System"
http://www.digido.com/level-practices-part-2-includes-the-k-system.html
which is implemented in  Fons Adriaensen's jkmeter (
http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio/downloads/jkmeter-0.4.0.tar.bz2
) and available PlanetCCRMA's repositories.

See also: http://old.nabble.com/First-release-of-jkmeter-td18798950.html
http://old.nabble.com/digital-volume-sounds-better-at-0-dB--ts28928647.html