Re: Musicians' Guide in Development; Testing Needed!

Christopher,

I wouldn't classify myself as an "absolute beginner" but I just did:

	yum install qtractor

which installed:

	qtractor  x86_64  0.4.6-1.fc14
	rubberband  x86_64  1.5.0-1.fc12

I then typed:

	qtractor

and got:

	qtractor: symbol lookup error: qtractor: undefined symbol:
_ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii

- I've got no idea where to go from here . .

Thanks,

Phil.

On 2010-07-10 06:03, Christopher Antila wrote:
> Thanks for your response and comments.  One of the biggest issues that
> I've had to face is the extensive documentation, explanation, and
> instructions required to do even simple audio tasks - as you noted.
>
> Also, because I wanted to include a wide variety of software, no
> particular topic is covered beyond what I might consider a "basic
> understanding."  With that in mind, a particular focus has been to get
> the user operating with the minimum knowledge they need to both complete
> simple tasks, and to find ways to complete complex tasks.  It's
> difficult to say how successful this has been.
>
> As the author of the Guide, I would greatly appreciate the input that
> could be provided by an absolute beginner (with audio software) who is
> nonetheless determined to learn - this is one of the primary target
> audiences!  In particular, once the Ardour portion has been completed,
> it would be useful to know how to further include people who have never
> done audio recording work.
>
> As for whether your brother is the person for this task, I will leave to
> you to decide :)
>

> Thanks again,
> Christopher.
>
> On 07/09/2010 03:45 AM, Nicholas Manojlovic wrote:
>> I wouldn't mind trying this guide out on my brother. He wants to record but
>> is confused by how to get started.
>>
>> I think it would be helpful if he had a 'click here, then here' sort of
>> guide and some example workflows.
>>
>> Ie, how to start recording in Ardour.
>>
>> Install ardour and Qjackctl.
>>
>> Open Qjackctl. etc.
>>
>> Open Ardour. Add a track. Press Shift E. Click on 'Input' etc..Check what
>> program is monitoring. Arm the track, go.
>>
>> Adding a drum track. Install Hydrogen. Open Hydrogen. Add a stereo
>> track/Switch to JACK mode/etc..
>>
>> Obviously a guide like this would end up being quite detailed, and would
>> probably require some sort of javascript 'pop up' to a glossary for terms a
>> novice might not understand.
>>
>> It'd be difficult - but I think it would be helpful. As it stands I wouldn't
>> be confident just sending him a link to the docs because there is no simple
>> entry point to get started recording music.
>>
>> My 2c
>>
>> Cheers
>> Nicholas
>>

>> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Christopher Antila<crantila@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> The Docs SIG is working on a guide for some of Fedora's music and audio
>>> software, to be released with Fedora 14.  The Musicians' Guide is being
>>> written primarily by me, as part of the Fedora Summer Coding program.
>>> Some of the first drafts are complete, with others being added regularly.
>>>
>>> I would greatly appreciate the help of all willing parties, to read the
>>> documents, establish and ensure consistency, and check for grammar.  You
>>> are even invited to use the documents to learn the software, if you wish
> [...]
>>> Christopher.

Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW	2001