Re: Musicians' Guide in Development; Testing Needed!

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Considering that we're offering Qtractor because it removes complexity
> for the starting artist, I'm going to suggest that using your method
> to get the latest source is going to be a barrier ... if that's what
> the guide recommends.

That's just my recommendation for the time being. At some point soon
enough, Rui will have an official release containing all the fixes
i've been getting off subversion. And then sometime after that, it'll
be packaged for fedora. I'm not worried that this will happen.

I was simply stating that if you want to use qtractor these days,
development has been fast and furious, and the RPM packages have not
been able to keep up with the pace of development.

The guide should point to fedora repositories for these packages. It
should not suggest
people build their own.

> Is there a reason we can't package and maintain Qtractor for Fedora?
> I'll go take a look at your SRPMs right now to see what you've got
> going on, but I'm even more of a novice packager.  But I'm sure many
> of us want to see it packaged (I want to use Qtractor ... from a
> Fedora repository, preferably.)

There's nothing special going on. However, the usual problem is
happening. Qtractor can be built with MP3 support, -- but FC's
blacklist necessitates a "crippled" version of qtractor that can't
read from MP3 files (in case you have existing MP3 source material you
want to mix or remix).

In order to streamline maintenance and reduce duplication of effort,
this issue needs to be solved for all apps, once and for all, in a
generic fashion, and that solution should be standardized and shared
among all apps that are plagued by this problem, e.g.:
(1) sonic-visualiser.x86_64 1.7.2-1.fc12 vs.
sonic-visualiser-freeworld.x86_64 1.7.1-1.fc12
           (from rpmfusion-free-updates).
(2) xmms.x86_64 1:1.2.11-9.20071117cvs.fc12 vs
xmms2-freeworld.x86_640.6-1.fc12 (rpmfusion-free)
(3) audacity.x86_64 1.3.11-0.1.beta.fc12 vs
audacity-freeworld.x86_64 1.3.7-0.6.1.beta.fc11 (rpmfusion-free)
...and any other app that expects MP3 support beyond xine or gstreamer
plugins from rpmfusion. Specifically a dynamically loadable liblame:

http://old.nabble.com/fedora-packaging----packages-that-can-dyn-load-blacklisted-codecs--ts28883024.html
suggests a starting point.

> If we can see that the packages will be in Fedora by/around Fedora 14,
> perhaps Cristopher will write against those packages, knowing the
> packages will be in the repo for the reader.

Certainly by F14, qtractor will probably be out of "alpha" and may
even be in "final" release...
So it makes sense to write as if this were going to be the case.

-- Niels
http://nielsmayer.com