Re: ardour 2.4 was out

Hi,

First let me introduce myself, as I think I have never posted to this
list. I have been rebuilding a few audio packages on CentOS 4 and 5
for a couple of years. As Fernando mentioned earlier, I ended up
submitting patches and a few new packages to Planet CCRMA.

Anthony Green <green@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> My speculation is that nobody is really interested in slow and stable
> releases of audio software -- just ones that don't break compatibility
> (my ardour 2.2 project should work with ardour 2.4, etc).
>
> If you are already building your own packages, why not co-maintain
> some set of packages in Fedora?

As far as I can tell, this point of view (which I fully agree with) is
very much the opposite of EPEL's goal of stability. So for me at
least, this means contributing directly to Fedora is not really an
option. I mean, I could do it, but I wouldn't get much back if I have
to build my own packages anyway. :-)

That being said, the situation is much better now that it was, say,
two years ago, as Linux audio is really getting mature; however many
parts of a current Linux audio installation are still moving
targets. Building up-to-date audio packages on a distro 6-12 months
old is not trivial. I had to build some parts of GNOME that would
probably not fit into EPEL for packaging patchage on CentOS 5, for
instance. And a reasonably complete audio package set pretty much
requires 2 or 3 different versions of wxGTK.

--
Arnaud