Re: ardour 2.4 was out

Hi Hector,

Hector Centeno wrote:
I support the idea of having newer versions of pakages in the CCRMA
repos that supersede the ones in the Fedora repos and also agree that
Fernando should get as many volunteers as possible to help him with
the packaging (myself I've been trying to make time for it since I
would like to take care of Csound and knowing that I wouldn't have to
deal with the lengthy official Fedora processes makes it more
appealing).
The lengthy official Fedora processes are only lengthy for the initial package review. Once it's in, it can be updated as quickly and as often as the maintainers desire. If, for some reason, Fedora is behind on something, simply file a bugzilla ticket. This process works.
This way then there are two options: for the user
comfortable with slow and "stable" releases there is main Fedora, for
the user needing bleeding edge there is CCRMA.

My speculation is that nobody is really interested in slow and stable releases of audio software -- just ones that don't break compatibility (my ardour 2.2 project should work with ardour 2.4, etc).

If you are already building your own packages, why not co-maintain some set of packages in Fedora?

AG