Re: ardour 2.4 was out

Hi,

I just would like to share my point of view as a CCRMA user. One of
the main reasons I moved from Debian based distros to Fedora-CCRMA was
because of the fast availability of the latest versions of audio and
music software. I think that in this field (audio/music) to have the
"latest and greatest" is of great benefit since many of this apps are
under heavy development and there are many improvements from one
version to the other. When I used Debian based distros I had to
constantly build my own applications so Fedora-CCRMA represented a big
time saver (so I could be more of a composer using Linux than a hacker
trying to use Linux). When I found about CCRMA moving to the main
Fedora repos I thought it was a great idea since it would make things
easier to Fernando. But now I find myself having to do the same app
building I was doing in Debian and realizing that at the end it seems
that all the "official" distro repositories, in their efforts of being
"stable" (I agree with Fernando: how stable really Fedora is) become a
big barrier for quick change and development.

I don't see having external repos as an inconvenient thing and in the
case of CCRMA (which I've been using on and off since Fedora 2) I
never had any dependency "hell" as with other external repos since
Fernando seems to always keep his packages totally compatible with the
main Fedora repos and even with some important external ones like
Livna.

I support the idea of having newer versions of pakages in the CCRMA
repos that supersede the ones in the Fedora repos and also agree that
Fernando should get as many volunteers as possible to help him with
the packaging (myself I've been trying to make time for it since I
would like to take care of Csound and knowing that I wouldn't have to
deal with the lengthy official Fedora processes makes it more
appealing). This way then there are two options: for the user
comfortable with slow and "stable" releases there is main Fedora, for
the user needing bleeding edge there is CCRMA.

Just my two cents.

Hector