Re: Summary of the 2008-03-11 Packaging Committee meeting

Jesse Keating wrote:
GUI doesn't mean !shell.  gnome-terminal for example, it's a terminal
emulator, you get a CLI.   You can full screen it too so it's "like" a
VT, but you gain all the extra fun of showing the gliphs correctly and
being able to use things like a char map or the compose key.

Well, but I have the compose key working at Linux console too. Moreover, I tune both the desktop and the console to switch between keyboard languages similar way.

Hence I actually can work with unicode filenames on the Linux console, and actually I work with them! But they are MY NATIVE language names (or just ASCII names, or mixed). The same for gnome-terminal.

I am against the situation when I have to work with "non-ascii && non-my-language" unicode characters, independent whether I use Linux console or GUI terminal emulator.

~buc

--
		Буцкой Д.К. <buc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
		РАО ЕЭС, ОДУ Северо-Запада, Санкт-Петербург