Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

Vít Ondruch wrote:
> In any case, I prefer to use Gtk apps for Gnome and I assume this is the
> case for Gnome users. Similarly I won't be surprised if KDE users prefer
> QT apps.

I suppose there might be some people who get so emotionally attached to
a widget library that they don't want to use programs that use another
widget library. Personally I use what works acceptably for my needs
regardless of which widget library it's built on. I edit photos in Gimp
(the origin of GTK) even though I currently use a desktop built on Qt.
I edit text files in Kate (a KDE program) regardless of which desktop
I'm using. I used Kmail for many years, even in Gnome 2 at times, until
Kmail became so bad that I had to switch to Claws Mail, which happens to
use GTK. I even used to endure Gnome Calculator's annoying Gnome-3-ness
because it was the best calculator I had until it recently stopped
working. I hope I'm not alone in using what works instead of getting
hung up on widget libraries.

> Mixing the DE and frameworks might not always work without issues.

That's not usually a crippling problem in my experience. Each time the
desktop I use breaks down, I switch to another. So far I've always been
able to find one that could be configured to work acceptably. It's
annoying when I have to spend time on that, but fortunately most of the
important programs tend to survive. It would be really horrible if I'd
have to log in to one desktop for programming and then switch to
another for photo editing or word processing. Let's hope the discord
never gets that bad.

If I can manage to set a sensible theme that exists for both Qt and GTK,
then most programs will look similar enough to not distract me from my
work – except for those Gnome 3 programs that refuse to obey the theme.
(And Firefox which just has to be different, but that has nothing to do
with desktops or widget libraries as far as I can see.)

Björn Persson