Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

Dne 04. 04. 24 v 0:44 Kevin Kofler via devel napsal(a):
Leon Fauster via devel wrote:
I already had RHL installed on a Sun IPX with Gnome, so I'm biased.
Interesting that you were not put off by the changes that have happened to
GNOME since the old RHL days. I tried GNOME 1 at one point long ago, it was
actually pretty good. (It was very configurable back then. Remember when it
shipped Enlightenment as the window manager, how many options that had?)
Then GNOME 2 came, removing much of the configurability of GNOME 1. And then
GNOME 3 came, removing AGAIN much of the remaining configurability of GNOME
2, leading to a very hardcoded experience. GNOME 2 was already too much for
me, and I switched back to KDE, back because I had already tried KDE 1.1.1
on another distro. And I have never looked back.

Well, actually, I wanted to be fair and give GNOME 3 a chance, so I tried it
out once. But it took less than 10 minutes for me to realize that it is not
for me. The user experience is just too unfamiliar (the unified application
menu and open window selector (launch menu AND task bar replacement), the
always maximized windows, the lack of a system tray, the shut down options
in the mouse menu hidden behind a keyboard dead key, etc.), and GNOME does
not make it easy for you to change it. (You can actually get a pretty
standard desktop experience nowadays if you install a lot of "unbreak this",
"unbreak that" GNOME Shell extensions, but that kinda defeats the point of
GNOME.) The default experience felt pretty much unusable to me personally.

Uh, from your description, I would really have hard time to decipher you are talking about Gnome 3.

"the always maximized windows" what is this about? Maybe you are missing some maximize/normalize buttons.

"the shut down options in the mouse menu hidden behind a keyboard dead key, etc.)" this is also not the case for ages, or at least not in its completeness.

Maybe you should give it second try.

Vít

KDE Plasma not only has more familiar defaults (actually looking and feeling
much more similar to GNOME 1 than GNOME 3 does), but also lets you easily
change those defaults that you do not like.

         Kevin Kofler