Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

Am 03.04.24 um 20:56 schrieb Adam Williamson:
On Wed, 2024-04-03 at 20:24 +0200, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:

Let's assume that we all agree with what you stated ( and I personally partly
do).

Why do we promote Workstation (with Gnome) over any other alternative that
might arise? (in this case, a Fedora Workstation KDE)

It's an interesting question. I would say my answer is "because it
works better if we promote *something*". Forcing the choice on people
who just want "desktop Fedora" is awkward. The reason we default to
GNOME is because we ~always have. To me, this is a reasonable

I second that. I prefer to have a clean path to go instead the endless
choice. Call it *nix philosophy, Hick's law or what ever. I call it
consistency and that is evidently the reason for Fedora's success, but
not alone.

Fedora's "variants" provides a coherent experience in the particular
usage. I already had RHL installed on a Sun IPX with Gnome, so I'm
biased. I would not change the place or what defines the Workstation
variant but other artifacts (editions, spins, labs) should get better visibility.

--
Leon