Re: F42 Change Proposal: Fedora Plasma Workstation (System-Wide)

On Wed, 2024-04-03 at 20:24 +0200, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:

> Let's assume that we all agree with what you stated ( and I personally partly
> do).
>
> Why do we promote Workstation (with Gnome) over any other alternative that
> might arise? (in this case, a Fedora Workstation KDE)

It's an interesting question. I would say my answer is "because it
works better if we promote *something*". Forcing the choice on people
who just want "desktop Fedora" is awkward. The reason we default to
GNOME is because we ~always have. To me, this is a reasonable
justification. Change is always uncomfortable and disruptive. If you
have two equally good options and you already picked one, you should
stick with it, not just switch between them every so often for the sake
of it. If Plasma were demonstrably, markedly and uncontroversially
*superior* to GNOME (please don't take this as an excuse to start a
holy war, I am positing for the sake of this post that neither of the
two is demonstrably, markedly and uncontroversially better than the
other), the case would be different.

> I understand that the Change Proposal is about switching the "Workstation"
> concept to using Plasma KDE and that approach might have been flawed but... how
> do we challenge the "status quo" where everybody assumes that Fedora's default
> is Gnome?

Again personally, I would set a very high bar for this to happen,
purely on the grounds of conservatism. Don't change for the sake of
change. I would only support changing Fedora's default desktop if it
was very clear that the current default was sufficiently flawed that it
was hurting the project. I don't think we are at that point.

> And I am not arguing for the sake of arguing. I genuinely want to know how to
> make Fedora's default to be Plasma KDE because I do believe the whole *linux*
> (and Fedora's) community will benefit  from having a major distro like Fedora
> not defaulting to Gnome.

There already is at least one. The most prominent download option for
openSUSE is their "Offline image" (equivalent of our old Everything
DVD), and the top item in the list of possible "roles" for the system
(effectively the choice we are discussing here) is "Desktop with KDE
Plasma" (at least in the screenshot in the install guide).
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA