Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 4:06 PM PGNet Dev <pgnet.dev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Many valid/interesting points being made.  Most of them sound, reasonably, like developer-/maintainer-centric issues.
>
> Question: Is a primary goal of Fedora distro (JAVA sig, etc) to 'service' its (java app) users?

There is no single primary goal of Java SIG.  The group consists of
individuals and sub-groups that have different focus or goals.

I think of Java packages as grouped into logical layers.  The lowest
first foundation layer is OpenJDK.  The second layer is Java RPM
tooling (with dependencies, the build systems) which enables
everything else, the third layer, to be built.  In other words,
OpenJDK with Maven/Ant/Javapackages/XMvn form a platform on which
other packages can be built.

I am mostly working within MBI sub-SIG that is working on
development and maintenance of the second layer - Java build systems
and RPM tooling for Java packaging.  The group has 2 goals:

1) We deliver, maintain and support Ant and Maven in Fedora.  Our aim
is to provide developers with the most popular Java build systems
which are reviewed, tested, and updated through the release lifecycle.

2) We design, develop and document tooling that enables anyone to
package Java software with a simple, efficient and scalable process.
We are also active members of Java SIG, collaborating on complex
changes and guiding new contributors.

The first goal is directed towards Fedora Linux users who want to
build any Java software, the second one towards anyone who wants
to package software they care about, but primarily towards Fedora contributors.
Maintenance of random Java libraries or apps is a non-goal for us.

>From my PoV, all Fedora Java buildsystem packages (around 120 of them)
are in good shape, with only two known security bugs, no important or
critical security bugs, no FTBFS or FTI bugs.  I am actively triaging
all bugs reported and responding to pull requests opened.  Due to
recent CentOS Stream 9 development work we are behind on a couple of
updates, but we should process them in the next month or two.

--
Mikolaj Izdebski