Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

On Sun, Sep 26, 2021 21:20:07 +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> Good evening everybody,
>
> Not sure why it's me who's writing this message, but somebody needs to do it.
>
> Community maintenance of Java packages in Fedora is, for all intents
> and purposes, dead. Mikolaj keeps a bare minimum of packages working
> for the maven toolchain, but that's it. Fedora 35 will ship without
> packages for the Eclipse IDE, and none of the Java applications I know
> of are still in working order. While I had hoped that setting up a
> "new" SIG and gathering members to shore up community maintenance of
> the "extended core" Java stack, this effort fizzled out after mere
> weeks.
>
> "He's dead, Jim."
>
> Now to the reason why I feel the need to beat a dead horse: I wonder
> if the @java-maint-sig group should actually continue to exist (or
> rather, be maintainer or bugzilla assignee for packages, because I
> don't even know if FAS groups can be deleted). It seems that none of
> the current members (I am no longer one of them) are active. Bugs,
> including security issues with assigned CVE numbers, are collecting
> dust. Packages get orphaned and retired one by one because they fail
> to build or install.
>
> At this point, I'm still the only person with the password for the
> SIG's bugzilla account and the only administrator of the private
> mailing list - just because I wouldn't even know who to hand those
> things over to (fedora-infra?). There's nobody left, nobody is reading
> the mailing lists. Only tumbleweeds are here.
>
> Should the @java-maint-sig group be removed from any packages it is
> still associated with? Should it be dissolved, and members be removed?
> Should the remaining ruins that used to be packages be orphaned?
> Retired? Buried? Forgotten?
>
> I don't know.

Unfortunately, I think removing the java-maint-sig is the only thing to
do.

I was hoping to help out since some of our neuro-sig packages are Java,
but keeping the dependency chain in place to be able to make these leaf
packages available is just far too much work. The Gradle issue etc. do
not help either. I don't think we managed to find a practical solution
for that one. At the neuro-sig we've been orphaning our Java packages
and letting them be retired. We'll just point to upstream builds in our
documentation and let users fetch and use those.

I think, as folks have discussed before, the Java ecosystem is not quite
packaging friendly enough for us, and for us to spend resources on
trying to tame it isn't the best use of our rather limited resources in
my book. (I mean I won't forbid any one from doing it, but I'd rather
focus on the non-Java packages in our 200 item packaging queue instead
of using up all that time on the few Java ones)

--
Thanks,
Regards,