Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 09:35:23AM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> In the end, we have never been able to keep a pool of people
> interested in making Java work. We aren't the only ones as this
> problem occurs in Debian also (and it occurs in other languages like
> Ruby, JS, Python also). The people who want to volunteer time on the
> language are more likely to work in an area where others interested in
> the language are already there. Dealing with the vaguries of 40
> different slightly different disk layouts, file permissions, and other
> tools  from every distribution are grit in the shoe when you already
> have a 'working layout' and have people who speak your language and
> problems elsewhere.

Yes, these observations are really key to sustainability problems
with language packaging.

For anything that is written in older vintage languages like C/C++
the value of the distro packaging is fairly unequivocal. There is
little-to-no support for package / dependancy management that comes
with the language toolchain as standard. Without the distro packages,
you are left doing all the hard work yourself to handle building and
install of native libraries you depend on. Both app developers and
users have self-interest in volunteering time as a distro maintainers
which benefits all parties.

For Java / Python / Go / Rust / etc, there are increasingly decent
package / dependancy management facilities that come as standard
with the language toolchain. Users turn to these standard tools
as their first choice, rather than the distros tools. So from the
POV of both application developers & users, distros are no longer
a critically important cog for helping users get the software built
+ installed. All they really need from the distro is the basic
language toolchain. In fact distros often just get in the way by
sucking in bug reports that then don't get seen by upstreams, or
by letting users run with un-tested combinations of dependancies.

It is easier to tell users "run go build and let it  download
the dependancies" (replace with pip install, or whatever other
language tools fit), than to explain to people how to install
the distro packaged go code for dependancies, across all the
different Linux distros and non-Linux OS plaforms. Thus we
don't attract as many people into the packaging world and have
to rely on a smaller groups of heroic people to keep language
packages actively maintined.

We're also getting squeezed by the increasing number of upstreams
directly building & shipping their deliverables to users, as
containers (whether docker/podman containers, or flatpaks), built
and tested in a controlled environment with CI systems integrated
into the git forges they use.

There are still valuable things done by distros of course, but it
is getting harder to demonstrate this value, in order to attract a
sufficient level of interest in package maint work :-(

Regards,
Daniel