Re: Fedora 💔 Java: The Death of Two SIGs

On Mon, 27 Sept 2021 at 08:45, Peter Boy <pboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I don’t find a plan or a goal. Please, provide me with a hint.
> >
> > All I wanted to say is that the current state is disingenuous at best,
> > and misleading at first.
>
> Unfortunately yes, indeed.
>
> > By having @java-maint-sig as one of the admins of a package (and for
> > most of them, also the default bugzilla assignee), while that group
> > doesn't really function any longer, a false expectation of "there's a
> > whole group of people maintaining this package", while the reality is
> > closer to "zero or maybe one person might be looking at this package
> > once a year".
>
> I think you characterize the situation very pessimistically. Obviously the constructions work to a certain extent. For example, we have 3 different versions of the JDK available in parallel, which also receive regular updates. We have important applications as tomcat. So we have something to build on.

Personally I think I found the characterization as being optimistic to
almost realistic.

There have been 3 to 5 reboots since 2008 each time with smaller
groups of people. The issue is that Java is not a 'hot-new-thing'
language that gets all the programmers running to the field. It is now
seen as the same as Pascal/COBOL was in the 1990's.. that thing you
learn in Freshman CS and then avoided unless you want to be an
accounting-programmer (aka COBOL).

There is nothing wrong with 'accounting-programmer' languages, and
they are rarely just used for accounting, but it is a simple label
people use on it. Java and languages like it are utility languages
where after spending a week getting some report or other application
to work, volunteering time to fix it for someone else is the last
thing you want to do. [As several Java programmers have put it, you
don't see plumbers volunteering to fix their neighbors pipes on
weekends.]

In the end, we have never been able to keep a pool of people
interested in making Java work. We aren't the only ones as this
problem occurs in Debian also (and it occurs in other languages like
Ruby, JS, Python also). The people who want to volunteer time on the
language are more likely to work in an area where others interested in
the language are already there. Dealing with the vaguries of 40
different slightly different disk layouts, file permissions, and other
tools  from every distribution are grit in the shoe when you already
have a 'working layout' and have people who speak your language and
problems elsewhere.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in