Re: RFC: Multiple parallel side tags

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 12:48:49AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > I again completely disagree. There is no reason for weeks of breakage.
> > Most of the issues that break composes are unannounced abi bumps where
> > just rebuilding dependent packages fixes it. Or broken deps (likewise).
> > Or mistakes made in kickstarts/comps. Or something that doesn't even
> > run. What good does having everyone broken for weeks do?
>
> There are several reasons why weeks of breakage are entirely reasonable for
> a distribution under development:
>
> 1. A bump of a library to a new major version. It can take a few weeks for
> dependent packages to be ported to the new version. But it is often worth
> waiting rather than introducing a compatibility library with all the mess
> that comes with it. (Of course, that does not hold for a library like Qt
> where getting everything ported to the new version is not realistic even in
> a couple weeks. Those are the cases where a compatibility library is needed
> basically forever. But there are libraries where it makes sense to just port
> everything.) The workflow would be to just bump the library to the new
> version in Rawhide immediately and then let dependent packages get fixed
> over time as their upstreams, Fedora packagers, or other distros' packagers
> port them.
>
> 2. Vacation. The maintainer of the dependent package may be on vacation (or
> even just busy with paid work, in case of volunteers) and therefore unable
> to fix their package immediately. So you may have to wait a few weeks for
> the broken dependency to get fixed if a simple rebuild is not enough.

I think both are valid reasons but I disagree that they should impact the entire
Fedora. So rather than breaking rawhide, use a side-tag, take all the time you
need and don't affect other people until everything is ready.
Whether you are the one doing all the rebuilds or working with other people,
the side tag model allows you to go at your own speed without affecting anyone
else.

> This has all worked just fine in the past, before it was decided to make
> basically every single broken dependency fail the entire Rawhide compose.
> Soname bumps did not even have to be announced, they would get announced by
> the broken dependency report within less than 24 hours anyway, and then
> eventually fixed (without somebody unrealistically expecting maintainers to
> fix the broken dependency in less than 24 hours to make the next compose
> succeed, which is just plain impossible for the average volunteer packager,
> especially if source code changes are needed).

This is both true and false. Yes this is how it used to be, no it did not work
"just fine". It relied on other people doing heroic work to clean up someone's
mess. We've had volunteers that were spending hours just rebuilding broken
dependencies due to an unannounced soname bumps. I'm sure these people would
have preferred to spend this time with their family, playing video games or just
contributing to other parts of Fedora.

With the new model, you do not impose work on someone else (which may also be in
vacation as you point out here, and thus keeping things unfixable for a
potentially long period of time), you either fix everything yourself or work
with other to fix them and then you can affect the entire distribution.
And if you want to bypass the gating mechanism, it is possible, but then it's a
concious decision that you are making to make other people's life miserable and
you may be asked the reasons for which you made this decision.

Pierre