Re: RFC: Multiple parallel side tags

On 6/17/19 4:47 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> I disagree. I think we need gating to block as much stuff that breaks
>> things from landing as we can and then we should find that keeping
>> composes going is much easier on all of us. Then things can be fixed
>> when gating catches them and it's on the person who broke things.
>
> And that is going to make development completely cringe to a halt. It is the
> nature of a distribution branch under development that things will sometimes
> be completely broken for a couple weeks. There needs to be a place to do
> development that can cause such temporary breakage.

I again completely disagree. There is no reason for weeks of breakage.
Most of the issues that break composes are unannounced abi bumps where
just rebuilding dependent packages fixes it. Or broken deps (likewise).
Or mistakes made in kickstarts/comps. Or something that doesn't even
run. What good does having everyone broken for weeks do?

> The side tag approach already does not scale, as evidenced by this thread.

It does. You just need to communicate with others working in the same
area, IMHO. I don't think we need some technical thing for something
that happens rarely and can be solved by more communication.

kevin