Re: RFC: Multiple parallel side tags

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 3:01 AM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/17/19 4:47 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> >> I disagree. I think we need gating to block as much stuff that breaks
> >> things from landing as we can and then we should find that keeping
> >> composes going is much easier on all of us. Then things can be fixed
> >> when gating catches them and it's on the person who broke things.
> >
> > And that is going to make development completely cringe to a halt. It is the
> > nature of a distribution branch under development that things will sometimes
> > be completely broken for a couple weeks. There needs to be a place to do
> > development that can cause such temporary breakage.
>
> I again completely disagree. There is no reason for weeks of breakage.
> Most of the issues that break composes are unannounced abi bumps where
> just rebuilding dependent packages fixes it. Or broken deps (likewise).
> Or mistakes made in kickstarts/comps. Or something that doesn't even
> run. What good does having everyone broken for weeks do?
>
> > The side tag approach already does not scale, as evidenced by this thread.
>
> It does. You just need to communicate with others working in the same
> area, IMHO. I don't think we need some technical thing for something
> that happens rarely and can be solved by more communication.

Actually with Rawhide Gating, this will happen a lot. Most of the
packages are independent, but there are way too many of those which
are tight with others. So people will have to use side tags for
updating 2-3 packages really a lot.

I don't think "more communication" is the solution. If people are
blocked by someone else, unless they have much free time they will
just walk away.