Re: rawhide no longer recognizing autotool macros

On 6/19/19 11:40 AM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 01:21:38AM -0400, Elliott Sales de Andrade wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 at 01:18, Philip Kovacs via devel
<devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

OK, my builds are back in order having removed those macros and replaced them with commands.

I expect that many package maintainers will be hit with this.

Yes. Let's change the expectation here:

I don't see there's any change in expectation involved...

if you are a maintainer
introducing a change in your package that will impact many other
packages, please either
a) (preferably) just fix the dependent packages if easy
or
b) communicate widely at fedora-devel *in advance*.

We don't want to have confused packagers on fedora-devel, and we certainly
don't want packages failing in the mass rebuilds because of things that
are easily avoided.

Of course. But "many" is such a relative term. The __auto* macro (ab)use is such a tiny minority that I frankly didn't even remember removing them, much less think of "announcing" that we removed some internal cruft (which it is from rpm POV). The perl and python changes were an entirely different matter, and were communicated and coordinated although clearly mistakes were made there too and it could've gone smoother. Too long since the last major update, routines get rusty.

In this case option a) is trivial, so I went ahead an run 'sed -r -i' over the
specs Elliot listed, removing __aclocal, __autoconf, __automake, __autoheader, __libtoolize.
I pushed the changes directly to git. 8 packages build OK with rpm-4.14.90, OpenIMPI fails for
unrelated reasons. slurm was already fixed.

Yes, a) is trivial ... if you're a provenpackager. I'm not ;)

Anyway, thanks.

	- Panu -

Zbyszek