Re: Upgrade to F30 gone wrong

On Wed, May 8, 2019, 4:50 AM Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nicolas' point is that the rescue boot entry only works in a limited
number of scenarios.

I'm not sure which of three 'rescue' options is being discussed.

grub rescue appears when normal.mod can't be loaded, and means the menu can't be displayed. This thread's bug results in this rescue.

Since circa Fedora 19, there is a GRUB menu entry 'Rescue' option which boots a "no host only" initramfs. If you see the option, you don't have the bug under discussion.

Install media, dvd and netinst, have a bootloader submenu option for Troubleshooting, that leads to an option Rescue a Fedora system, which actually launches anaconda with app option 'inst.rescue' that helps find, assemble and mount a Fedora installation or even just provide a shell with all the CLI programs normally available for installs including fsck, mkfs, various FS debug tools, etc.

And in some cases the rescue media IS needed to fix this particular
issue as well. For example my box never got to the grub prompt at all,
it was busy reboot-looping, probably due to negletting to reinstall grub
in almost a decade. Others have pointed out other "completely broken"
symptoms.

I don't think that's this bug. It suggests the core.img embedded in either the MBR gap or BIOSBoot partition has a serious bug or that the computer firmware has a serious bug. Somehow is can neither load blscfg.mod (this bug) and can't run it's own rescue mode (not this bug).

That would be super tedious to track down. And interestingly, would potentially be masked by always updating the bootloader between major upgrades (makes bootloader a moving Target). But if no one ever tracks it down, which includes the even more tedious requirement of localy building GRUB from source and reproducing the bug (because Fedora's GRUB is so substantially modified from upstream that upstream will always reject Fedora bugs), it won't get fixed.

I admit, we've already failed if we're at grub rescue, letter alone in a reboot cycle. But the latter sounds hardware (firmware) specific. Difficult no matter what.

Really, if you don't even get a menu from grub, how many people are
going to be able to work it from there?

I think 1 in 10. Just a guess. That's probably generous.

Even if there was another
computer comfortably nearby for googling, I wouldn't bother even trying.
Much easier to grab that rescue image, which thank goodness is there still.

I don't know what rescue image is.

The bug this thread is about, if you hit it, you do not get a GRUB menu.

To me, rescue image means install media with Rescue boot option i.e. anaconda inst.rescue.

--
Chris Murphy