Re: Upgrade to F30 gone wrong

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 2:50 PM Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris Murphy writes:
>
> > This bug itself was expected to be an edge case, that not many users
> > would be affected, in that not many would have a stale Fedora 20 or
> > older bootloader. Surely 'grub2-install' would have been manually run,
> > or the user has done a recent clean install since Fedora 20, right?!
>
> One of my bricks that will soon get Fedora 30 was originally installed with
> Fedora Core 4.
>
> Obviously a minority; but you'll be surprised to learn how many systems
> there are which have been running Fedora for a very long time. Fedora 20 is
> what, about five years old? There are many, many systems which are at least
> five years old. People don't really swap hardware every 2-3 years, any more.

I'm not suggesting they do, but rather that they occasionally do a
clean  install or manually run grub-install. Reinstalling GRUB
(pre-boot binaries) by invoking
grub-install is the upstream recommendation, however esoteric that
sounds.  There isn't an automatic update mechanism. And I'm pretty
sure it's the same for U-boot and extlinux.

Only on UEFI, and as a consequence of grubx64.efi being built by
Fedora's  build system and included in the GRUB RPM, is the bootloader
updated.

And as I think about it, bootloader updates don't happen on rpm-ostree
(e.g. Silverblue) regardless of the type of firmware.

There is no release criteria that covers this, which is why this bug
was not a blocking bug. However, the Workstation Working Group's
Product Requirements Document says in part: "the upgrade process
should give a result that is the same as an original install of Fedora
Workstation" and that is clearly not the case as it pertains to the
bootloader.

The Server edition PRD reads more permissive saying "existing servers
and installed roles should be upgradable to new releases with minimal
involvement"

--
Chris Murphy