Re: Upgrade to F30 gone wrong

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 12:44 PM Steve Grubb <sgrubb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Saturday, May 4, 2019 1:43:56 PM EDT Chris Murphy wrote:

> > Currently, there is no way to determine who owns the bootloader on a
> > BIOS computer, and therefore to avoid stepping on a bootloader that we
> > don't own, we never update it.
>
> I would imagine it is trivial to examine the files to see that there is only
> one system installed and handle that case. Multi-boot is more complicated.

It's trivial if you're willing to make assumptions rather than test
for conditions. If you start testing for conditions you quickly find a
ton of exceptions. I can easily create a multiboot system that
partitioning wise looks like a default/automatic Fedora only system.
So you need a test that doesn't only check number and type of
partitions. It'd have to be deeper than that. If you open it up to
custom configurations then it's even more tests you have to do to know
for sure it's a single OS system. I think that's super complicated and
not at all trivial, it'll hit all kinds of edge cases.

This bug itself was expected to be an edge case, that not many users
would be affected, in that not many would have a stale Fedora 20 or
older bootloader. Surely 'grub2-install' would have been manually run,
or the user has done a recent clean install since Fedora 20, right?!
Possibly the assumption about upgrades is wrong because they have been
so reliable that users trust them. In other words, the problem is the
result of our own success!

And if that's true, revisiting the 'don't update the bootloader on
BIOS' policy perhaps is in order.

There are in fact real security bugs that crop in the bootloader from
time to time, and no one on BIOS gets the benefit of fixes for those
vulnerabilities if they do not run grub2-install manually. It's
insufficient to just update the RPMs on BIOS systems.

Anyway, I for one would strongly support changing this with the feature process.

--
Chris Murphy