Re: Upgrade to F30 gone wrong

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 11:39:50 AM EDT Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
> It would be nice to have a robust upgradeable bootloader setup. I'm pretty
> sure that ranks before having a pretty flicker-free boot to Fedora users.
> Pretty boot has been a workstation priority for how many releases now?

> Baring that, just having a reinstall bootloader option in rescue mode would
> go a long way to make this all less a PITA. Fedora has been doing
> incompatible bootloader changes every few years for as long as I remember

Rescue mode? I couldn't find it. All references I could find to a rescue mode
date back to 2013 or later. I would have liked a rescue mode because makes it
easy to just chroot into your actual system from the livecd. Seems like we've
lost something nice if its really been dropped.

I wound up solving the problem by using the workstation livecd, mounting the
/boot partition, and issuing the grub2-install command. This worked, but the
instructions are completely undocumented (searching from Google) as best as I
can tell. There are docs for grub but not grub2. There are docs for Ubuntu
which has a different boot disk layout but not for Fedora. Following the
Ubuntu docs will not work. And speaking of which, seems like they have a disk
boot repair iso. No idea how robust it is, but it is something.

I am thinking that something could have been put into dnf system-upgrade
where it could have warned about the problem or did a workaround. Actually,
this could still be put into system-upgrade because not everyone switches
first week or two because they are waiting to see what problems people hit
before doing it themselves.

Best Regards,
-Steve