Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 5:12 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018, 16:43 Brian (bex) Exelbierd <bexelbie@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> > And with the named examples are you gonna get any support and updates
>> > if you decide to hold off an upgrade to a newer OS? I doubt.
>> > I can certainly hold off upgrade to Android 9 on my phone, but that
>> > doesn't mean I'm gonna get any further updates for Android 8 from the
>> > phone vendor.
>> > There is a huuuge difference between "not forcing upgrades" and
>> > "providing supported and secure way to stay on the current release".
>>
>> I think this tied up with one of the major problems we are trying to
>> solve with Fedora Modularity, the "Too Fast, Too Slow" problem.
>

> I think identifying which components move too slow or too fast would be a good start - even if those lists might depend on the specific user or use-case.

I think this is a great way to differentiate various
spins/labs/editions, however the OS as a whole needs to be able to
allow as much as possible to flex as much as possible.  I think that
trying to define a core beyond "boots the machine" quickly leads to an
endless rabbit hole.

>> I am not sure it is bad for Fedora to only have a single supported
>> "release."  If you refuse an upgrade, you're on your own.  If you
>> refuse it because you're going on a trip, have a presentation, etc.
>> and plan to do it later, you generally don't care.  If you do it
>> because you don't want your system to change, I am not sure Fedora
>> should be your distribution of choice (I'll introduce you to my
>> friends CentOS and RHEL).
>>
>> If we did a "stable rolling release base" that, described simply and
>> incompletely, had a beta and stable option where you knew your
>> hardware would work and your apps would run I think most users,
>> desktop and server, would be happy.
>

> What about aliasing fedora-N to "rolling-beta", and fedora-N-1 to "rolling-stable" (similar to what Debian does)? Every 6 months or so, rolling-stable users would get an upgrade to a fedora release that's been well-used and -tested for about 6 months. (Which I guess is what some people already do manually.)

I agree that we need a beta vs stable pathway, but I am not sure
having a release helps us.  We can do version numbers if we need them
for marketing, but I think some of what appeals about rolling releases
is that upgrades are a non-event.  We've basically accomplished that
with Fedora today, except that we still make a big deal out of hte
upgrade and hte new version number.  Let's push it further to
non-event status and instead talk about updates as new features and
benefits, not a new version.  (this is poorly worded - I am in a
rush).

regards,

bex