Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

Gerald Henriksen píše v Čt 15. 11. 2018 v 10:22 -0500:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 14:38:12 +0100, you wrote:
>
> > I understand this argument, but I think more and more desktop users
> > are being trained that updates happen on a schedule they didn't
> > choose
> > and are hard to avoid.  This is how most mobile operating systems
> > function.
>
> iOS prompts you for the yearly updates, and it can be avoided if you
> really want.
>
> macOS requires you to specifically choose the yearly update, though
> they may have changed with Mojave.
>
> Not sure about Android, but the fact that Google has had to twist
> things into a knot to try and get updates out to users indicates that
> upgrades to Android aren't being pushed out for the most part.
>
> Windows is the only one forcing upgrades, and it is perhaps one of
> the
> reasons that hardware vendors are showing more interest in Linux as
> people are now more willing to consider anything other than Windows.
>
> Really, the only place where forced upgrades are happening, are
> accepted, and seem to actually work are on the application side and
> that is because, demonstrated by the web browsers, frequent updates
> can be done unobtrusively and reliably.

And with the named examples are you gonna get any support and updates
if you decide to hold off an upgrade to a newer OS? I doubt.
I can certainly hold off upgrade to Android 9 on my phone, but that
doesn't mean I'm gonna get any further updates for Android 8 from the
phone vendor.
There is a huuuge difference between "not forcing upgrades" and
"providing supported and secure way to stay on the current release".

Jiri