Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

On 11/15/18 10:42 AM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
Gerald Henriksen píše v Čt 15. 11. 2018 v 10:22 -0500:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 14:38:12 +0100, you wrote:

I understand this argument, but I think more and more desktop users
are being trained that updates happen on a schedule they didn't
choose
and are hard to avoid.  This is how most mobile operating systems
function.

iOS prompts you for the yearly updates, and it can be avoided if you
really want.

macOS requires you to specifically choose the yearly update, though
they may have changed with Mojave.

Not sure about Android, but the fact that Google has had to twist
things into a knot to try and get updates out to users indicates that
upgrades to Android aren't being pushed out for the most part.

Windows is the only one forcing upgrades, and it is perhaps one of
the
reasons that hardware vendors are showing more interest in Linux as
people are now more willing to consider anything other than Windows.

Really, the only place where forced upgrades are happening, are
accepted, and seem to actually work are on the application side and
that is because, demonstrated by the web browsers, frequent updates
can be done unobtrusively and reliably.

And with the named examples are you gonna get any support and updates
if you decide to hold off an upgrade to a newer OS? I doubt.
I can certainly hold off upgrade to Android 9 on my phone, but that
doesn't mean I'm gonna get any further updates for Android 8 from the
phone vendor.
There is a huuuge difference between "not forcing upgrades" and
"providing supported and secure way to stay on the current release".

Jiri

For macOS, Apple tends to support the most recent 3 releases with security updates as shown in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

However for iOS it does seem to pretty much be a linear stream of updates.

--
Orion Poplawski
Manager of NWRA Technical Systems          720-772-5637