Re: Fedora Lifecycles: imagine longer-term possibilities

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 12:37:46PM -0500, John Florian wrote:
> On 11/14/18 10:36 AM, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >We need to rebase GNOME within about two months of the new
> >upstream releases, or we'll lose our edge with the GNOME
> >community. We'd be ceding our position as best GNOME distro to
> >Ubuntu and Arch.
>
> It seems wrong that a DE, even if it's the default, has so much sway
> over the distro as a whole.

It's not just gnome. It's also gcc, glibc, boost, systemd, python, and
any other project which cannot be upgraded easily mid-cycle. Having
a chance to push a new version every six months is much better than
waiting a year.

> >So a one-year cycle means a major GNOME version update will need
> >to land in the middle of a release to avoid that. And these do not
> >have a good reputation for stability. Basically we'll wind up with
> >a bunch of bugs landing halfway through the release, and without
> >the usual Fedora QA process to ensure the most important of them
> >get fixed before they reach users.
>
> Why can't GNOME be updated mid-release like any other application?
> Why does the QA process require the cadence of the whole distro
> release process to bend to GNOME?  Can't a major GNOME update land
> in the testing repos to have QA issues sorted out there just as well
> as in some alpha/beta release of the overall Fedora?

For me, any discussions about .1 or .5 completely miss the point.
The numbering does not matter at all, the freeze and the testing and
bugfixing matters. If we do it every 6 months, we might just as well
call this a new release each time.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, we have plenty of technical
issues to solve, including security bugs and whatnot. Let's not get
distracted by numbering.

Zbyszek