Re: Last dbus upgrade issues

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 at 07:04, David Herrmann <dh.herrmann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[..]
> > Other problem is that dnf and rpm are executing batch of packages
> > scriplets not the same order with other operations. Breaking rpm
> > semantics by dnf is kind of asking for troubles.
>
> Thanks a lot for the report. We tested this upgrade with several
> different setups (both dbus-daemon and broker installed/not installed
> before the upgrade, etc.), and we didn't see this behavior. We are
> aware that this update needs a reboot to fully work, but we made sure
> it somewhat works even if you don't reboot. For rawhide, there is
> sadly no way to mark updates as "needs reboot".

1) Nothing from any implemented scriptlets printed out such
message/warning that system needs to be rebooted ASAP..

2) Even if some scriplets would be printing something like this dnf
will redirect stdout messages to /dev/null. rpm does not do this and
IMO good question is why dnf is doing this, So generally your 'there
is sadly no way to mark updates as "needs reboot"' is not real barrier
but barrier in dnf. Other thing is that many existing scriptlets which
may emit some workings or even errors are usually redirected by
packagers to /dev/null. For example now it is some number of packages
systemd files are still pointing to /var/run instead to /run. No one
is going to fix those issues because almost no one knows that it is
already reported by some systemd commands. IMO general policy about
scriptlets should be not redirect stdout/stderr to /dev/null because
it hides potential issues in scriplts, configuration files or other
resources.

3) If all dbus connections are not stateless which if it is true would
not allow restart dbus service on running system IMO it is big flaw in
dbus design. In case any dbus security issues this will cause that
Linux will be more like old time Windows (when application level fix
required OS reboot) than modern U*nix. Hopefully this is not truth and
dbus restart is possible.

4) Nevertheless my system ended up with *not enabled* dbus-broker.
If it was caused by upgrade over rpm it clear sign that dnf is not
fully compliant with upgrade semantics implemented in rpm. This will
cause more issues in the future (why dnf is not doing upgrade by use
rpm libs calls? why someone started duplicating this code? It must be
some reason but splitting the code is not a solution)

kloczek
--
Tomasz Kłoczko | LinkedIn: http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH