Re: Last dbus upgrade issues

Hi

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 10:53 PM Tomasz Kłoczko
<kloczko.tomasz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 at 11:35, Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczko.tomasz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [..]
> > I’m talking about F30 recent change in which has been implemented switch to dubs-broker.
> > Ps. If this change has been propagated to F29 (hopefully not) more things will be screwed.
>
> Seems I found what caused the issue.
> I've been doing upgrade (only) dbus packages using rpm and for some
> reason after all old dbus-daemon has been killed and deactivated and
> at the same time dbus-broker has not been started.
> Instant effect was very strange. For example I was unable to unpack
> any archives with files owned by group/user not present in my system
> because NSS seems now depends on dbus as well. After next few minutes
> Gnome GUI crashed,
>
> if [ $1 -eq 1 ] ; then
>         systemctl --no-reload disable dbus-daemon.service
>         systemctl --no-reload --global disable dbus-daemon.service
>         systemctl --no-reload enable dbus-broker.service
>         systemctl --no-reload --global enable dbus-broker.service
> fi
>
> This dbus-broker %post scriplet seems is only swapping started
> services but does not stops dbus-daemon and starts dbus-broker if
> dbus-daemon is already runimg.

You cannot stop dbus-daemon on a running system. This would tear down
everything. The package upgrade needs a reboot.

> At the same time because in spec file is missing uninstall dbus-daemon
> by missing "Obsoletes: dbus-daemon" below

Uninstalling dbus-daemon would break a running system, because it
would stop the system bus. Furthermore, other packages still depend on
tools provided by the old dbus-package. Can you elaborate why it is
harmful to keep dbus-daemon around? We made sure you can manually
remove it, unless other packages explicitly depend on the dbus-daemon
binary for private buses.

> %triggerpostun -- dbus-daemon
> systemctl --no-reload preset dbus-broker.service
> systemctl --no-reload --global preset dbus-broker.service
>
> has not been activated as well. IMO implementing whole transition with
> leaving both old and new packages installed seems is wrong.
>
> Solution: login after all in single mode and execute "systemctl enable
> dbus-broker" than reboot.

This surprises me. You are saying a simple reboot did not solve your
issues? The `enable` line is executed during upgrade, but you are
saying on your system dbus-broker was not enabled after the upgrade?

> Other problem is that dnf and rpm are executing batch of packages
> scriplets not the same order with other operations. Breaking rpm
> semantics by dnf is kind of asking for troubles.

Thanks a lot for the report. We tested this upgrade with several
different setups (both dbus-daemon and broker installed/not installed
before the upgrade, etc.), and we didn't see this behavior. We are
aware that this update needs a reboot to fully work, but we made sure
it somewhat works even if you don't reboot. For rawhide, there is
sadly no way to mark updates as "needs reboot".

Thanks
David