Re: Last dbus upgrade issues

Hi,

Since I hit it too…

I agree it's a problem when subsystem maintainers assume reboot is cheap and controlled and they do not need to make in-place update work (those people need a few months baby-sitting headless systems where any mistake means unracking and rewiring in uncomfortable physical positions just to access hdmi or usb ports).

But… it’s even more a problem, that the people who assumed they could design a system around reboots, didn’t provide a reliable way for packages to declare the actions required to make the next boot work, somewhere where they are sure to be executed before the next boot attempt. Because the systems that rebooted on a state without network, with broken gdm, and no console login, did provide the OS with the required reboot window in the first place.

We had the same thing with grub fast boot recently. I don't care if boot is pretty or fast, if problem remediation, is not built in the boot process in the first place.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot