Re: Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse

On 10/22/18 11:14 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi writes:
>  > On 10/21/18 6:12 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>  > > years now.  abompard has a few commits, he and pingu still answer mail
>  > > but that's about it.
>  >
>  > Well, he has 980 commits, much more than anyone else.
>
> Sure, but in the last couple of years there are only a couple of dozen
> commits from all committers.

True. ;(

>  > We intend to keep up with upstream, but we haven't dropped other
>  > items to do so urgently.
>
> OK, you're right: it's not urgent; HyperKitty is at 1.2.0a1 in our
> repo, 1.1.5 is dated October 17 last year, but little has changed and
> no new features in the UI.  Fedora's Postorius is 1.1.2 (upstream
> 1.2.3), but I doubt that many of the issues I have with Fedora's
> Postorius are fixed upstream, they're more local installation stuff.
> There are many more upstream changes in Postorius vs. HyperKitty, but
> I didn't notice any missing Postorius functionality (except web form
> signups, and that's deliberate).
>
> Máirín will probably have results in a couple months but we are
> unlikely to release again until PyCon (in May, I think).

Yeah, but staying closer to upstream is still valuable, so people who
commit fixes don't have to wait ages to see them in production.

Another thing I'd like to do at some point, and perhaps we should just
do this soon is move our instance to openshift. That would allow for a
lot faster deployment schedule and a lot more flexability about what
container(s) we use for things as well as scaling, etc. But again thats
some work we need to prioritize and get people working on.

>  > > I don't know the reasons, but somebody at Fedora does: they're the
>  > > same reasons that fedoraforum.org exists.
>  >
>  > I'm not able to parse this. This very thread is more information that
>  > may get us to move it up in priority. Can you rephrase?
>
> I don't know what "Fedora management" values, or what is needed by the
> people who are doing the work that devel is designed for (coordinating
> packages, troubleshooting dependencies, etc).  However, there are
> forums related to Fedora that people have put up (and IIUC fedoraforum
> is an experiment set up by the Fedora project itself).  That means
> there is some dissatisfaction.  But turning that into requirements, or
> justifying using admin resources, etc to upgrade requires more
> knowledge about the community than I have.

Fedoraforum is not now, nor has it ever been run by the Fedora project.
It's always been a 3rd party site that runs how they like. I used to be
a moderator there, but I've not had time to even login there in ages.
(perhaps proving that polling sites always ends up slipping down your
list until you no longer remember to do it).

> I haven't found this thread very informative, to be honest.  The email
> advocates say "it works, could be better" (which given the traffic
> levels I'd have to say is true) which isn't very specific about *what*
> works and how it works to enhance productivity, while the forum
> advocates are not at all precise about how a forum is supposed to
> improve *productivity* of this list.  They're mostly focused on
> certain issues, such as ease of entry that I agree are important for a
> user support forum, but I don't think they really help the devel
> workers (that's my personal opinion, not anything I can claim
> expertise on).

Yep. Perhaps we could (re)direct people to file issues with upstreams so
their problems are at least tracked.

>  > Sure. I appreciate your input though!
>
> Try and stop me! :-)
>
> Seriously, as I said before, Fedora is currently one of our biggest
> publicly accessible Mailman 3 installations.  We want the best for you
> first, but if "the best for Fedora" can be Mailman 3, we want it to
> shine!

Thanks!

kevin