Re: Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse

On 10/21/18 6:12 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi writes:
>
>  > Huh. The only person I know of from Fedora at least that was
>  > working on it was abompard. While he's working on other things now,
>  > as far as I know he's still working on mailman3/hyperkitty as time
>  > permits.
>
> pingu and abadger also contributed.  Don't know their exact
> affiliations or what they're doing for Fedora's installation, but all
> three have stopped substantial upstream contribution for a couple

Toshio (abadger) works on ansible now. Pierre (pingou) is still in the
Fedora engineering group but is focused on pagure and ci work. I only
see 2 commits ever from Toshio and all of pingou's commits were at the
very start of the project in 2012.

> years now.  abompard has a few commits, he and pingu still answer mail
> but that's about it.

Well, he has 980 commits, much more than anyone else.

> abadger we still hang with at PyCons, but he
> wasn't involved in the later development, and would have to put a lot
> of effort in to get up to speed.  As you say "it could be anyone who
> wants to", so we're not going to ask any of them to do more than they
> want to at any given time.  They're not core any more.
>
>  > > but *somebody* is going to have to commit to better care and
>  > > feeding of the channel, whatever software is supporting it.
>  >
>  > Sure, but it could be anyone who wants to fix those things.
>
> No, it can't, can it.  Fedora is not keeping up with upstream, which
> means that "anyone who wants to" isn't upgrading on the Fedora system.
> And that's because they'd need to get permission or effort out of the
> operators, and apparently that's scarce.  The people who manage the
> machines have to make this commitment, or it goes nowhere.

We intend to keep up with upstream, but we haven't dropped other items
to do so urgently. Unless there is some decision to move to something
else, we definitely plan to catch back up to upstream when we can.

...snip...
>  > We have a ton of things going on, so we just had this as low
>  > priority currently. If it needs to be moved up higher the reasons
>  > for that would be great to know/discuss.
>
> I don't know the reasons, but somebody at Fedora does: they're the
> same reasons that fedoraforum.org exists.

I'm not able to parse this. This very thread is more information that
may get us to move it up in priority. Can you rephrase?

>  > While I know he's got many other things on his plate, I thought
>  > Aurelien was still doing upstream work and helping folks. CCing him
>  > on this, I could be mistaken.
>
> He's got a spate of commits every summer.  But I think that abompard,
> as well as pingu and abadger, are a moot point here: they focused on
> core functions and scalability.  Máirín is the author of the UI layer
> and has offered to work on these UX issues.  I'm confident that she'll
> produce results for us!  The question is will they get used by Fedora?

Sure, if they go in upstream they will be used by us when we update.

> Much as I detest forums personally, I consider this an open question
> for Fedora.  The "try it, you'll like it" advocacy from forum
> proponents worries me, but Fedora is not my thing, Mailman is.  You
> all have to decide.

Sure. I appreciate your input though!

kevin