Re: Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 9:11 PM Randy Barlow
<bowlofeggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-10-18 at 14:04 -0700, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> > Here is a link to discourse features:
> > https://www.discourse.org/features
> >
> > I view hyperkitty as just a web interface for mailing lists - not
> > much more
> > than that.
> > Discourse provides a more complete conversation / collaboration
> > environment.  If you
> > take a look at the features page, you'll see it offers some nice
> > capabilities.
>
> Reading that page, I don't see a lot that seems substantially different
> from hyperkitty to me. Can you highlight what in particular you view as
> a valuable difference? What is lacking about Hyperkitty?

(CC'd Mairin Duffy, as she's probably the right person to give the
feedback to, and could respond appropriately to my comments)

In my opinion, there's only a few things needed to make HyperKitty excel:

* Notifications hub for unread threads and such. For people who'd
rather use HyperKitty to interface with the list, there needs to be a
way to track threads and topics that you've participated in or are
watching.

* HyperKitty completely lacks a means of handling rich content. Some
people may not agree with me on this, but having *zero* formatting
sucks. Supporting at least Markdown (probably with CommonMark
specification?) would be a major improvement.

* There *needs* to be a flat view option. A lot of people don't
realize this, but the reason why threaded views aren't normal in web
forums is because they're absolutely awful for deep threads. The only
reason it works in email is because email clients are usually too dumb
to represent them accurately.

* Topic splits aren't rendered as separate conversations to follow,
which makes it difficult to understand what's happening because per
the thing about threaded views, it gets really weird and awkward to
follow multiple conversations spawned from the same mail.

A nice to have would be a better visual style that's more responsive,
exciting, and cleaner looking, but that's a matter of taste. I'm not
much of a fan of the current era of Fedora web styles, as it feels
like the life is sucked out of the site and it's just _boring_...
Heck, I think the current Koji web style is more exciting than the
current Bodhi and HyperKitty ones...