Re: Fedora should replace mailing lists with Discourse

GBC> Probably not fair to judge the system on the capabilities of your
GBC> email client.

It is entirely fair.  Moving to this system will remove capabilities
that I have now and will not provide adequate replacements for them.
Since moving to this system will most likely result in my disconnection
from this portion of the project, I don't intend to ignore its faults.

GBC> That's fair... if your don't like to use a browser to access email.
GBC> You're entitled to your preferences and opinion - but many people
GBC> do like using browser based email.

I completely agree.  And the nice thing about our existing mailing list
setup is that they can do that.  And people who don't like using browser
based email don't have to.  Because it's all just email, and we can all
access it and deal with it according to our own workflows.

Discourse simply enforces a workflow upon its users.  Yes, there's a
"mailing list mode".  It's not sufficient.  Yes, there is some keyboard
navigation.  It's not sufficient.  I can fire up some browser addons to
try to make the page look like something I can use (and hope they don't
ever change their layout), but I can't add capabilities to it that it
doesn't have.  And if I insist on sticking with email, I get a second
class experience.

So contrary to what you write above, I wouldn't be entitled to my
preferences, because discourse doesn't give me the opportunity to have
them.  If I don't like my email client, I can change it.  I can't change
the discourse system.

On project I used to follow quite a bit was the RT request tracker.
They moved to discourse some time ago.  The end result was that email
became a mostly useless stream of context free messages and you
basically have to open a browser to follow a conversation.  Offline?
Too bad.  High latency connection?  Too bad.  I don't bother even
attempting to follow that project any longer.

I don't expect to sway anyone's opinion or that Fedora will keep mailing
lists around just for me.  But in this push for some nebulous
"engagement" I believe there will also be disengagement, and that by
doing this Fedora itself is making a trade.

 - J<