Re: [modularity] Modules and AppStream

On 25 August 2017 at 10:06, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Neal Gompa wrote:

>>> I've already turned down my feelings about it several notches. But at
>>> least you noticed what I said by the words I chose. That's was the
>>> whole point.
>>>
>>> I'm going to be blunt about how I feel about it and present my
>>> technical argument. Being purely technical tends to lead to being
>>> ignored. You noticed because I didn't do that.
>>
>> I agree with Matthew on this one.  You got noticed, yes, but for *very* much
>> the wrong reasons... which may backfire in the long run: your non-
>> inflamatory/technical feedback will indeed have higher risk of not being
>> considered seriously.
>>

> I'm extremely frustrated by how much half-baked-ness has been going on
> in the last couple of months. Schedule shrinkage, features getting
> cut, this modularity thing being implemented in a way that's looking

I am going to say the following as a guide for other people in the future.

If you had taken the time to explain this in the first place versus
calling it stupid, I would have paid attention. This clearly explains
why you are frustrated and what the problems you are seeing in details
which can be dealt with. The "stupid" may seem to be a great
distillation of all those problems but it also comes across too many
times as "I am scoring points on the elementary playground" so yes it
gets initial attention but people just want to punch you in the face
versus listen to what is making you so angry/upset.

To be clearer. Your original email just made me upset at *you* and
pretty much shut me down from wanting to see it from your point of
view. Reading this has made me realize that many of my current
frustrations with how everything is and yours are the same and I can
agree with many of the points. Even to the following though I don't
know what DID is (Developers in Distress?)

> If I wasn't a long-time Fedora user and contributor who actually knew
> his stuff and knows how to navigate around all the messes, I'd
> probably have left by now because it feels like everything is on fire,
> and not in a good way.
>
> In your own little worlds, everything might seem like it's fine, but
> out here in the outer rings, closer to nexus of the intersection of
> the regular world with the Fedora worlds, it looks like Fedora is
> getting a severe case of DID again.
>
> The messaging is wrong, the implementation doesn't make sense, and
> there isn't actually a problem to solve that you aren't creating for
> yourselves already.
>
> *Throws hands up in the air*
>
> --
> 真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!

Stephen J Smoogen.