Re: F28 System Wide Change: Switch libidn-using applications to IDNA2008

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I do not see why we need to patch each and every application for this. Since
> the library is at least API-compatible (not sure about the ABI), libidn2-
> devel should have Obsoletes and Provides for libidn-devel and symlinks
> libidn.so → libidn2.so and idn.h → idn2.h. Then all that is needed in
> application packages is a rebuild. Changing one package scales much better
> than changing all other packages.

Obviously Simon Josefsson must have had a compelling reason to make a
new and parallel-installable library instead of just releasing a new
version of LibIDN. The first and most obvious reason that comes to mind
is that applications should be able to rely on the libraries they use. A
version upgrade of a library shouldn't change its functionality in
incompatible ways.

IDNA2008 isn't fully compatible with IDNA2003, and therefore the switch
should be done only after application authors have assessed the impact
on their particular application. Parallel-installable libraries allow
them to do this and switch over one application at a time. What you're
proposing would enforce the change, causing applications to suddenly map
some domains differently before upstream authors are prepared, as if
LibIDN2 had been released as simply a new version of LibIDN.

I know it's very popular to break functionality left and right, but
there are some of us weirdos who actually like software that works
consistently and reliably. The existence of LibIDN2 indicates that Simon
Josefsson is a rare responsible programmer who wants application authors
to be able to rely on his libraries. I ask the breakage-loving majority
to please respect his decision, and not force their own preferences on
his work.

Björn Persson