Re: [modularity] Modules and AppStream

Richard Hughes <hughsient@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 23 August 2017 at 13:57, Marius Vollmer <marius.vollmer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>  - Metainfo is in packages, but we need to be installing modules.
>
> How are we going to be installing modules in a modular-system?
> PackageKit is only going to be able to install packages so
> gnome-software will obviously need to be able to install things.

My understanding from playing with Boltron is that "dnf install foo"
treats "foo" as a module name.  "dnf install" can not install packages
anymore.  So naively I assume that PackageKit will transparently start
installing modules.  (I think PK uses libdnf, and I think I read
somewhere that libdnf doesn't do anything with modules yet, so...)

Bu then again, this all feels quite half baked, so maybe I shouldn't
make assumptions based on what Boltron does today.

Witness:

    # docker run --rm -it modularitycontainers/boltron-preview /bin/bash

    boltron# dnf info guile
    Name         : guile
    Epoch        : 5
    Version      : 2.0.14
    Release      : 1.module_39876f37
    Arch         : x86_64
    Size         : 3.5 M
    Source       : guile-2.0.14-1.module_39876f37.src.rpm
    Repo         : fedora-modular
    [...]

    boltron# dnf install guile
    No such module: guile
    Dependencies resolved.
    Nothing to do.
    Complete!

> [...]
>
> I don't think you can pretend that applications from different
> branches (with different features, bugs and possibly UI) are the
> "same" component, especially when you can install zero, one or many at
> the same time.

With modules, you can not install more than one stream at any time.  I
think the idea is that module streams provide different versions of
packages without having to change the packages in any way.  Thus,
packages from different streams will mostly likely conflict with each
other.