Re: [modularity] Modules and AppStream

On 23 August 2017 at 13:57, Marius Vollmer <marius.vollmer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In a modular repository, I think the same thing should happen so that
> GNOME Software can present interesting modules to the user in a nice
> way.

What kind of modules would be shown in gnome-software? Are
applications like Firefox going to be supported in the new modularity
system? We're not going to be showing httpd there for instance.

>  - Metainfo is in packages, but we need to be installing modules.

How are we going to be installing modules in a modular-system?
PackageKit is only going to be able to install packages so
gnome-software will obviously need to be able to install things.

>  Thus,
>    the collection data needs to have module names into the AppStream
>    <pkgname> tag.

I think the pkgname tag needs to contain the package name. We have a
<bundle> tag that might be more suitable for adding things like
version or stream information.

>  I propose to keep AppStream metainfo data in
>    packages, and map from package names to module names during
>    construction of the collection data.

Can you elaborate a bit? At the moment in Fedora we generate the
AppStream metadata from a mirror of all the packages using
appstream-builder.

>  - Because of streams and profiles, there can be multiple versions of
>    metainfo for a given AppStream component id.  These need to be
>    merged

No, I don't think they do. If you have two very different versions of
Firefox (one LTS, one bleeding edge) you want a different description,
different screenshots and different reviews.

The way we've solved this in Flatpak is to use a different application
ID, for instance Firefox nightly would be
org.mozilla.Firefox.Nightly.desktop rather than
org.mozilla.Firefox.desktop

I don't think you can pretend that applications from different
branches (with different features, bugs and possibly UI) are the
"same" component, especially when you can install zero, one or many at
the same time.

Richard.