Re: [modularity] Modules and AppStream

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Neal Gompa wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 8:54 AM, Matthew Miller
>> <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Neal, this idea is the idea of other Fedora contributors who have put a
>>> lot of thought into it. Please refrain from childish language like
>>> "stupid". I'm not saying that this is "offensive" or anything, but I
>>> hope for a higher level of discourse in Fedora. There's no need for
>>> insults. You have a technical argument; please stick to that.
>>>

>> I've already turned down my feelings about it several notches. But at
>> least you noticed what I said by the words I chose. That's was the
>> whole point.
>>
>> I'm going to be blunt about how I feel about it and present my
>> technical argument. Being purely technical tends to lead to being
>> ignored. You noticed because I didn't do that.
>
> I agree with Matthew on this one.  You got noticed, yes, but for *very* much
> the wrong reasons... which may backfire in the long run: your non-
> inflamatory/technical feedback will indeed have higher risk of not being
> considered seriously.

I'm extremely frustrated by how much half-baked-ness has been going on
in the last couple of months. Schedule shrinkage, features getting
cut, this modularity thing being implemented in a way that's looking
increasingly impossible to bypass while everyone I've talked to seems
to indicate that all of this is prototypical and likely to be
completely reworked again (which has already happened at least once
now, apparently), and to top it all off, the Pagure over Dist-Git
thing has been driving me bonkers for the last few weeks. I also now
get complaints from people that they can't figure out what Fedora
actually has in the distribution anymore because we don't have
PackageDB. Who thought it was a good idea to not have a way for people
to figure out who maintains what and what is in the distribution? The
package search application is broken and still not updating, too.

Not to mention, after trying the Boltron server, I'm extremely
disappointed in how it behaves. There's no obvious way to determine
whether I'm requesting a module or a package, and the *additional*
metadata that uses *yet another parser* means that we're back to Yum 2
levels of slowness with even more complexity than there was before.

Look, I don't care if you want to do your modules in TOML, YAML, JSON,
or whatever. But it's a complexity and security risk if have to deal
with multiple types of repository metadata parsers. It makes
independent tool handling of the metadata harder, it makes
implementing repository management harder, and it makes things really
difficult for build systems and other tools that have to resolve
things.

You make my job harder as a packager, my job harder as a developer, my
job harder as a systems administrator, and my job harder as a user.

All of this to simply avoid just setting up packages to be parallel
installable. In most stacks, this is already the default. For example,
Python, Ruby, Java, etc already do this, we just don't really leverage
it. Other stacks (like PHP, Perl, etc.) can be set up that way
relatively easily.

You talk of independent life cycles, but aside from leaf desktop
applications, it's not practical or realistic. Cutting things around
all over the place clearly speaks towards some kind of RHEL thing
where they don't like the organic growth of the dependency chain.
That's fine, it's their distribution and they can shut off features
there that are available in Fedora. But the wounds inflicted by
creating these "modules" that add more special metadata, require
custom depsolving, and so on just make no sense.

Insofar as the custom depsolving, it reads to me like something where
we want to avoid having our build system be able to automate a lot of
the hellish things we do now (like the ImageMagick bump going on right
now). Instead, these weird modules rebuild everything again and again.
I'm not really going to get into this more, because clearly no one
cares as I've attempted to bring this up before in other threads with
crickets responding. So, what's the use?

And the Flatpak stuff (since Owen did bring that up earlier in the
thread) also is strange, because it effectively doubles or triples the
maintenance work of software. And Flatpak still has no reproducibility
mechanisms, which makes it hard to do secure software delivery. But at
least Flatpak operates on an independent space, and doesn't actually
change too much of how the regular distribution is built. So it has
somewhat of a pass from me.

If I wasn't a long-time Fedora user and contributor who actually knew
his stuff and knows how to navigate around all the messes, I'd
probably have left by now because it feels like everything is on fire,
and not in a good way.

In your own little worlds, everything might seem like it's fine, but
out here in the outer rings, closer to nexus of the intersection of
the regular world with the Fedora worlds, it looks like Fedora is
getting a severe case of DID again.

The messaging is wrong, the implementation doesn't make sense, and
there isn't actually a problem to solve that you aren't creating for
yourselves already.

*Throws hands up in the air*