Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

On Thu, 2017-07-20 at 17:19 +0430, Hedayat Vatankhah wrote:
> /*Richard Hughes*/ wrote on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 09:24:10 +0100:
> > On 20 July 2017 at 04:10, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > It's even required. There is no support for unbundling anything beyond the
> > > runtime at all, nor can runtimes share files without duplicating them.
> >
> > Sure they can. If you install the KDE runtime and the GNOME runtime,
> > these are both built upon the Freedesktop runtime and share a huge
> > number of files. Any duplicate files get deduplicated on disk -- you
> > don't even download the duplicates when you update either or both of
> > them.
>
> As Fedora is going to use (IIRC) Flatpack's in OCI format rather than
> ostree, does it also work with OCI images? Both deduplication on disk,
> and also delta-downloads?

Good question!

Deduplication on disk works because Flatpak will unpack the downloaded
OCI image into the local OSTree repository.

Delta-downloads do not work, however. Every time a flatpak or runtime is
updated, the whole flatpak or runtime needs to be downloaded.

For this reason, it may be interesting to, once everything is built,
explode the OCI Images into a OSTree repository for download. (If we do
things right, we could even get delta-downloads for server containers as
well...)

The issue with this is that nobody has yet figured out how to handle
OSTree repositories within the Fedora mirror infrastructure. While
OSTree repositories can be mirrored efficiently, they can't be
mirrored efficiently by rsync.

But if we figure that one out.. in any case, this is a separate step
that can be done once we get the basics of building flatpaks working.

Owen