Re: F27 System Wide Change: Graphical Applications as Flatpaks

Hi,

Kevin Kofler kirjoitti 16.07.2017 klo 15:11:
Matthew Miller wrote:
AND the ability to roll back, to choose beta or stable streams, etc.
For example, the Google Play app store, you can check a box to opt in
to beta versions of an app you're interested in following the bleeding
edge of. It'd be awesome to do that in Fedora. We *could* do that with
traditional packaging, but in practice doing it well seems like at
least as much work as the flatpak bundle approach — and we still
wouldn't get the update advantage.

Opt-in:
su - (or sudo -i)
dnf copr enable myapp-beta
dnf distro-sync

Opt back out and roll back:
su - (or sudo -i)
dnf copr disable myapp-beta
dnf distro-sync

Where's the problem? This is also trivial to offer in a UI.

What if upgrading to myapp-beta requires upgrading also e.g. to a major version of Qt (or any other widely used library that has some potential to either have regressions or even just be incompatible between versions) that is more recent than what my Fedora installation ships? If distro-sync proposes any upgrades beyond the one thing that the user really wants to upgrade, how will any non-technical user be able to tell if this will destabilise something else?

With flatpak and other comparable tools, the application can set up to use a more recent runtime while the existing applications are left untouched. Even for a user who gets all their software from Fedora, I'd expect it to be possible for a user of stable Fedora N to pick any of the application versions available in Fedora (N-1), (N+1) and rawhide.

At least I have so far pretty much avoided all COPR use because I wish to spend time on something else than judging this. I have some applications installed through flatpak and there it is nice to know that the installations do not affect how the programs that I get from Fedora work.

- Joonas